Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Texas is in a state of butterflyocalypse

Wi-Fi and reception are basically non existent in West Texas, so this is pretty much going to play out with just pictures and stuff I can remember from them.

Day 26?:
I don't really remember how this day started. But the route we had planned was looking pretty shitty, so I had us do a detour to a small town called Marfa. There was something like 1000ft less climbing on the detour, so Jerome was jumping for joy. It was a pretty barren ride, so I think I decided to take a bunch of pictures of all the road kill I came across.

Pepe Le Pew has seen better days. If only the scent trail didn't float him into oncoming traffic.

After a while, I realized there was more to look at than roadkill. For example, there was a Prada store in the middle of fucking nowhere.

It was locked, so no murses for these boys today.

I think it was some sort of art installment. But people came from all over to check it out. I made sure to tell everyone how cool I am for riding across the country. No one seemed to care, fashion is importanter. I think this Prada store was my first cue that west Texas is fucking weird. Next, more boring bike riding stuff that no one needs to hear about. As we were riding, I started visually recognizing that we were in Texas.

Do you think... Do you think he'll let me come shoot his sniper rifle if I trespass?

Eventually we found our way to Marfa and stayed at the strangest spot yet. I think it was called El Cosmico. It consisted of renovated streamline trailers, furnished teepees, and pre set up tents. We opted for a renovated trailer and probably got one of the better nights of sleep yet.

We missed the "festival of love" by one week. Note to self; don't turn on the blacklight tonight.

I didn't know what to expect in Marfa, but it felt good to get back to civilization, albeit artsy fartsy civilization.

Day 27:
I think today we stayed in Alpine. It was a short day and beautiful ride. I'm pretty sure I didn't have much to take a picture of, so I just noticed this on Jerome.

The man doesn't believe in sunscreen or bending his elbows.

We crashed in a really comfortable hotel annnnnd that's all I remember. Is this what getting old is like?

Day 28:
At some point Jerome chipped his tooth, and we hadn't been able to find a dentist yet, so we decided to stay an extra day in Alpine. The dentist wasn't in until the next morning, so we pretty much did nothing today and enjoyed every second of it.

If I die on this trip, don't bother burying me, just throw me on top of this pile of bones and call it good.

Day 29:
Back in the saddle! I think this is where memory starts getting better/things get more interesting. Today we were ready to start moving again. Our plan was to head to Marathon, which was something like 30 miles, so not bad. About a dozen miles outside of town we find a spot to do any last minute shopping.

Unfortunately they were out of tampons, so I was screwed.

Did I mention west Texas is fucking weird? We made it to Marathon without a hitch, but weren't so lucky in finding a place to crash. The only place with a spot open was charging $200 for a king sized bed. Fuuuuuuck that. We happened to hear about this hostel in town that put up cyclists for free, though. So, we decide to check it out. Jerome had to call the lady when we got there.

"You're telling me it's free?? Jesus, this is too good to be true!"

It was too good to be true. They had one spot available, it was a shed maybe 5ftx5ft. The first bad omen was a huge spider hanging out by the head of the one bed. Whatever, we'll kill it, it's fine. But shit it's kind of warm in here, let's open a window. I go outside to open the window and minimum 10 wasps fall out. Yeah, let's get the fuck out of here. The day was still young, so we decided to just pack up and head to the next town, which was only

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

But the good news was that it was all downhill with a tailwind. And we got to see some pretty sights.

Note to self; if I ever move to the south, rename myself this.

The ride went off without a hitch, and we found ourselves staying in Sanderson for the night. Not much there, but the people were friendly and hospitable.

Day 30!!:
Fuck, we're basically a month into this. That's weird. We woke up to hit the road today, but the motel manager stopped us and insisted on taking our picture and made us promise to give him good reviews on Facebook and TripAdvisor. I'll give him a shout out here.

10/10 would sleep here again.

Jerome: "what year is it?"

Fuuuuuuck I just remembered this day as I was typing this, this was an interesting one. It ended up being a long day, but we met some interesting people. Our first stop was a general store in a small Bumblefuck Texas town. Jerome and I were sitting outside resting up for the next section when a man approached us and let loose his life story. Everything from fighting in Vietnam to how close we are to world war 3. I'll spare the details, but after 45 minutes of hearing why we're fucked, Jerome forced our hand into getting the fuck out of there.

Mmmmm... Naaaaaaaw.

The ride was getting long and hot, I was so happy to find this now rare roadside treat.

Iced tea!! With an added bonus treat of fudge rolls!!

The day took a while, but we finally made it to the overnight town of Langtry. When I say town, it was literally a gas station/restaurant/general store (barely)/motel all in one, and two houses. One behind the motel and one across the street. The dinner was decent, but tiny, not enough food to refuel after the day's ride. But the "general store" had some interesting decorations.

Creating bipartisanship between bears and men

The only way to get any (if any) wifi was to sit outside the general store after it was closed. So Jerome and I were hanging out outside when a local man sat down next to us and decided to spill his guts. His story consisted of something like, "I should have been dead at 9 months old, I got that polo illness (Jerome said: "polio?"). Yeah polio. I've been shot at, I've been hung up to bleed out, but for some reason God has kept me alive... Do you know how hard it is to convince someone of God that doesn't believe in God?? (Jerome and i cringe inside) ...Well anyway, morale of my story, what can I do to help you guys out?" Jerome immediately said no we don't need anything, but a lightbulb went off in my head. I said, "hold on a sec. In every state we ride through I'm making a goal for myself. California was surfing, etc. In Texas, I want to get someone to let me shoot their gun. Can you help me do this?" He sits there for 5 or 10 second, stares me straight in the soul, and says, "you ain't gonna shoot me with my own gun, are ya? Shit, son, is that all you want? This is the one thing you want to cross off your bucket list?" I assure him that I won't shoot him, and we walk around to the house behind the motel and proceed to empty two clips into a sign and empty beer cans.

I don't think Mitch appreciated my arm around him, but he's not the one with the gun anymore. MUAH HA HA HA HA

Crossed that one off the bucket list. Oh yeah, there was one stipulation to Mitch letting me shoot his gun; he wants me to find him a job at a carnival. If anyone has any connections, let me know. I intend to return his favor. (Fucking weird, I know, but I don't ask a man with guns many questions)

1 comment:

  1. Love the update! I also love that Mitch let you shoot his gun and looks to murder you with his hands if you get much closer. Next up, Ghost Tour - and I want to see lots of pics with orbs.

    Love, your eldest sister.

    ReplyDelete